Thursday 21 July 2011

mama's fat-free muffins

Photos: heysweetie8
Hello ladies. Today I'm sharing with you a magnif recipe passed down by the Health and Fitness Guru, that is my mom. If you're feeling like a detox after seeing some of my somewhat indulgent recipe posts, this one is for you. I'm thinking I should be doing a weekly recipe that's completely HEALTH-Y, tried and tested recipes passed down from my mama that are not only good on the booty but good for your well-being too. Hands up if you're game!


Makes +- 10

Ingredients:

3 cups Nutty Wheat flour
2 cups soft brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 cups buttermilk
½ cup raisins or sultanas

For the topping:

Rolled oats
Sunflower seeds

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.

2. Stir in buttermilk and raisins. ** Mix lightly to a soft batter.

3. Pour into non-stick muffin pans. Add a sprinkling of rolled oats and seeds on top of each muffin. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

4. Serve hot with a drizzle of honey or syrup.

Variations:
APPLE MUFFINS
Add 1 cup tinned pie apples and a teaspoon of cinnamon.

BRAN AND DATE MUFFINS
Add 1 cup finely chopped dates and ½ cup digestive bran. Add a little more buttermilk if the mixture seems too dry.

BANANA MUFFINS
Add 1 cup mashed banana.

** I added a handful of chopped dried apricots to the mix.
 

1 comment:

  1. yum yum *YUM*! I think I need to pop over and share these little guys with you :) xx

    ReplyDelete